Monday, August 8, 2016

Hey, everyone!

This was a good first week in Calama, and I'm really enjoying it here!  My new companion is Elder Jennings, from Las Vegas, and he has tons of ''ánimo'' as they say here.  

It's drier, and hotter, and colder here, but its really nice. A lot of people say that Calama is the richest city in the mission. I think its because the huge mine is really close, and its not big enough to have really ghetto poor areas. I'm also in the richest sector in the city, so I've been really blown away by some of the houses. Some parts could totally pass as the U.S.  It's a big contrast from Alto Hospicio. But that also means that people are a little less receptive, but it's ok, we have some awesome investigators that are getting really close to baptism, so that's super awesome!  And about your question of La Mano Del Desierto, its in Antofagasta, and missionaries can go visit it. Hopefully I'll be able to, but Calama has some really cool things too. We were able to visit Chuquicamata today, which is the world's largest open-pit mine, that was really interesting to see, and there is also a really touristy old village not far away, called San Pedro de Atacama, and the famous Valle de la Luna. I'm excited to see all those areas & get to know more of Calama as well!

We have some very strong, progressing families that are very close to baptism, and although I miss people in Alto Hospicio, I am really excited to continue to help the people here in Calama, and I couldn't be happier with the people I've been able to meet wherever I go, according to God's will for me, and for them.  We have already had some very powerful, humbling lessons, and it's such a powerful testimony for me of the truth of these things, and that missionaries are not alone when teaching. We have had some wonderful spiritual experiences here.  Below are some pictures of me and Elder Jennings, and of the mine. I hope you all had a good week, and I'll update again next monday!


-Elder Checketts




No comments:

Post a Comment