Monday, September 19, 2016


This week was exciting, with moving sectors, and getting to know lots of new people.  We met with two families who are especially ready for baptism, and who are ready to get married then baptized as families in October!  We have met lots of new members, and friendly people who want to help us strengthen these families ready for baptism, and find more. 

Sunday was Chilean Independence Day, and on Friday there was a Ward party, where we met more members and investigators, and got to see more of the Chilean culture.  They had several barbecues going, with lots of chicken, rice, and Choripán (Chilean bread with chorizo, which is a type of sausage).  It was lots of fun, and we got to see the Chilean ''sapo'' game. (A game where you toss coins at a wooden box with holes in it, recieving points based on the holes).  Over the center hole is a metal frog, or sapo, with a small opening in its mouth for a coin to enter. The goal is to get the most points, and ideally, in the frog's mouth.  It was a great get-together, and many of the investigators we had begun to talk to were there, and really enjoyed it and felt at home.  this has been a good week over all, and I hope everyone else had a good one too. Talk to you next week!  

--Elder Checketts

(From Preston's Mom... I had asked PJ a bunch of questions in my last email, about various things...the brown belt he was wearing in his last picture, who the extra person was in the photo from the last baptism, the flip-flops he wears in the pictures at baptisms, if he needs us to send him anything (or if he can buy what he needs there), if he has played piano or taught lessons in the wards there, what he did on his last Preparation day (P-day), and if the Chileans have any traditions in Oct., Nov., or Dec. like we do here for the holidays...  These are his responses...)

Anyway, yeah, I really like that belt.  I bought it in Iquiquem but its a little big, so I might have to punch more holes.  I thought I'd fill it, assuming I'd gain weight, but I've lost it.  We are given lots of food for lunch, and I've never really been huge into breakfast, so usually, I just wait till the big lunch, and then am still full by dinner time, so I don't eat much at night.  And we also don't have time to snack! hahaha! But before, I never had a scale to check my weight, but now we're living in the pension of where the hermanas were before, and they left one. It said I'm 62.3 kilos, and I did the math, and that's 137 lbs!!! I was 153 before I left! I lost 16 pounds!!!!!! But you can definitely tell if you look at pics before I left, and in the MTC, in comparison to ones now.  I'm not starving though! Don't worry! I'm eating plenty! :)  Also, in the baptism picture, it was the Young men's president. Antonia wanted him to baptize her, and then I baptized Javier, and Elder Jennings baptized Justina.  And no, I don't need white slippers or anything... I just wear the flip flops because we usually do the photos outside, and don't want the socks to get dirty. I'm fine with that though.  At some point I'll probably buy more shoes here, since mine are slowly getting destroyed from walking and walking and walking.... probably another reason I've lost weight.  I could by shirts and shoes here, but not garments.  The closest distrubution center is at the temple in Santiago, and usually they only do a trip once a year or so... and I think that's against the rules as well.  I could order online on lds.org, but it might be easier if you just send some.  The members and investigators here in this Ward are great!  We have two weddings and five baptisms set up for October, which is awesome!!!  I've never played piano for the Ward, or taught primary.  I've played the limited parts of hymns I know for prelude sometimes, but to be fluid enough for the meeting, I'd have to practice, and I just don't have the time.  I've taught gospel principles, because its our duty if the teacher isn't there, and we've talked to the primary kids and been given pictures and cards from them, because the primary president wanted us to present just a little of what missionaries do.  The apartment is a lot nicer and bigger here than in Rio Loa though.  And we live in a house of members, so the mom brings us chicken a lot.  Last week for p-day, we changed it to Tuesday, because there is a city in our zone called Tocopilla that is two hours away.  It's too far for them to join us for a normal p-day, so we planned a zone p-day on that Tuesday, because that is when the whole zone meets for the zone training.  Then after, we had the p-day.  We watched Mulan, ate pizza, and played vollyball and soccer.  Interviews with the mission president are every three months usually.  This week we all went to Antofagasta to hear from a seventy that came to visit. I got to see Elder Aparco again, and Hermana Masina (the girl that lived across the hall from me at USU).  Speaking of fall holidays here though... yesterday was September 18th (Chilean Independence day). And they are crazy!!! It's illegal not to have a Chilean flag outside of your house on that day, and there is lots of music, lots of bbq's, and lots of drunk people that night and morning.  I've heard its by far their biggest holiday (even more so than Christmas).  Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well, and continuing to enjoy family time and school and work, and everything.  Hope you have another great week, and I'll talk to you later!!!  Also, I realized I haven't sent any pictures for a while except those from baptisms.  Let me know if there are specific things you want me to take pictures of. 

Love, PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment