Monday, July 11, 2016

Another great week!

This week we had conference with President Ferreira and his wife, and then interviews and activities the day after, and it was absolutely awesome!  I loved President and Hermana Dalton, and wish I had gotten to know them better, but I can't say I am anything but impressed by the Ferreiras.  Hermana Ferreira is super fun and nice, and already knows the mission, and President Ferreira has a very apparent love for the missionaries.  I can tell they both will be great leaders of the mission, and I can't wait to get to know them even more.

During the interviews, while a missionary was in with President, the rest of us stayed and had a discussion and played some get-to-know-you games with Hermana Ferreira. We watched a short clip from Mulan that went along with what she was talking about, and because of that, I've had ''Make a Man out of You'' stuck in my head all week! Then I had my interview with President Ferreira, and it was really cool, because it's very apparent how much he loves the missionaries. He looked me in the eyes during the interview, and said, ''Elder, on Monday, when you write your family, let them know, how happy I am to have you as a missionary in this mission, and let them know that I expect great things from you.'' I can tell he will be a great president, and I can't wait to get to know him even more as my mission goes on.  

In other news, Eduardo had his baptismal interview, and is working hard not to smoke! We bought him a big bag of caramels to help him, and he's continuing to work toward his baptism on the 16th, and baptize his son and hopefully his wife too, on the 30th, which is incredible!! It has really been amazing to see the change he has gone through, and what effort he is making to stay on the track for baptism.  It's a miracle really to see people rise above the things that have been a problem for them, for so long. It's a miracle because they have to rely on Christ to do it, but as soon as they do, He won't let them down.  

I also have some funny stories this week.  Having a Latino companion, and being fairly new to Spanish, I'm prone to making some mistakes that are sometimes pretty funny.  For example, earlier this week, I was explaining to Elder Aparco the plot line of Romeo and Juliet, and how at the end, Romeo drinks poison, and Juliet stabs herself with a knife.... but instead of saying cuchillo (knife), I accidentally said cuchara (spoon).... personally I think that would be a more interesting ending..... but it was kind of funny. There was also one time when we were talking about food, and I was saying something about maple syrup (jarabe de arce), but instead said jarabe de ALCE (moose syrup). I thought that one was pretty funny too. Another one that a lot of missionaries mess up on (though I haven't), is accidentally saying pescado (fish) during a lesson, instead of pecado (sin).... it leads to funny things like, ''Brother, if you trust in God, I know you will be able to find repentance from your fish''.  Anyway, hope that amused you a little! Talk to you guys next week!

I hope everyone else had a good week as well, and everyone is continuing to enjoy the summer. I'll update you next week!

-Elder Checketts

No comments:

Post a Comment